Chocolate Toxicity



Chocolate poisoning is a serious, potentially fatal, cause of poisoning in dogs. The culprit within chocolate is called theobromine. The concentration of this substance varies depending on the type of chocolate but as a general rule, the higher the percentage of cocoa solids, (i.e. the darker the chocolate), the higher the level of theobromine.

Signs of poisoning usually occur within 24hrs of consumption and include vomiting, painful abdomen, restlessness and hyperactivity. In severe cases there may be tremors or convulsions with the heart being severely affected.

Contact the surgery if you have any concerns your pet may have eaten chocolate.

Read More